Past Sale Highlights
Below are details of some of the Classic Cars, Motorcycles and Automobilia we have sold. We will be very interested to discuss the consignment of any classic vehicle you may be thinking of selling. We offer very competitive rates of commission and each vehicle is fully researched and promoted with articles in International magazines and local press.
View Previous Sale Catalogues
1933 Matchless Model B Silver Hawk, 593 cc - 4th March 2017 SOLD FOR £48,160
Registration number YD6392
Frame number 924
Engine number 33/B 1943.
Matchless is one of the oldest marques British motorcycles, manufactured in Plumstead, London, between 1899 and 1966; initially Henry Collier and his sons made bicycles but soon became successful motorcycle manufacturers.
The Silver Hawk cost £72 new in 1933; £35 more than Ariel's Square Four, and the price of the Matchless rose to nearly £79 in the four years of its production run. Some 500 Silver Hawks were sold between 1931 and 1935 (only 60 in 1933); it was outsold by the cheaper and more popular Ariel (which continued in production until 1959) and was dropped from the Matchless line up in 1935. Only some 60 examples are believed to exist today. This particular example was first registered on the 8th March 1933 in Taunton, Somerset, to a Mr A.C. Thomason as recorded by the Somerset Archive records, how long he owned it and to whom he sold it is unknown as the first log book was surrendered to Kent C.C. in 1954. The replacement RF60 states that in 1949 she was registered to Edwin Randall of Bexley in Kent, he sold it to Ronald Hooker of Crayford, Kent in 1954 and then Peter Frederick Smith Stafford bought her in early 1957 (still registered as a Sidecar Bicycle). On the 18th November 1957 the RF60 was altered by East Riding Licences to a Bicycle, the last tax stamp being December 1957.
Peter was the younger of two sons of a Leeds metal dealer who retired to Grange farm at Brandesburton Moor, in the East Riding of Yorkshire in the early 1950's. He was an engineer in the Merchant Navy and left in early 1957, purchasing the Silver Hawk for the journey North, as it was cheaper than the train fare! He rode it locally for a year before it became too unreliable and it was left on its side in a barn. In 1984 the family sold the farm and Peter moved to Easingwold, North Yorkshire, taking the Silver Hawk and an exceedingly rare 1931 Beverley-Barnes motor car, inherited from this father. In 2006 he acquired the only known example of a Beverley-Barnes, a fully restored 1925 example. Upon his demise in 2009 Bonhams auctioned all three at their Harrogate auction; the 1925 Beverley-Barnes sold for £48,000, the 1931 rolling chassis for £31,000 and the Silver Hawk for £28,000.
Purchased by Don Law of Hull, YD6392 was slowly restored, the non-original parts being removed and original examples found. The frame was stripped back, confirming the frame number to be 924. The engine was stripped and found to be in very good condition, needing only new piston rings; the four bevelled gears for the overhead camshaft were worn out and new ones made; the crankshaft needed considerable work and this was undertaken by Alpha of Dudley; the gearbox was in very good condition and only needed an overhaul and was returned to the correct hand shift. The front/rear brake linkage had been changed from the right hand side to a modified Norton version operating only the rear brake, presumably by Smith-Stafford and this has been retained. Since the completion a correct period dropped forge lever has been obtained and will be included in the sale (diagrams for the linkage are available from the owners club should the next owner wish to convert it back). During the restoration Don sadly passed away but the work was continued by retired engineer Peter Autherson of Hull and she is now being offered for auction as a fully and correctly restored, matching numbers example (the clock is a modern replacement).
Offered for sale with the replacement RF60, a V5C, the last two tax discs (1957/58), a Model B Silver Hawk instruction book, close up photographs prior to the restoration, various receipts for works done, and several old motorcyle magazines with articles on the Silver Hawk Arrow/Hawk. The engine has been run for half an hour but never on the road so gentle recommissioning is advised before enjoying this incredibly rare and interesting motorcycle.
1925 Crossley 15/30 V Screen saloon 14 hp - 4th March 2017 SOLD FOR £30,900
Registration number BS 9199. Chassis number 28177. Engine number 28181. BS 9199 was exported to New Zealand and little is known of its early life
Crossley Brothers was set up in 1867 by Francis and Wlliam at Great Marlborough Street in Manchester city centre manufacturing pumps, presses and small steam engines. They established Crossley Motors Ltd in 1906 as a separate identity building quality motor vehicles, lorries and later buses. The brothers were committed Christians and strictly teetotal refusing to supply their products to companies such as breweries that they did not approve of. They adopted the early Christian symbol of the Coptic Cross as the emblem to use on their road vehicles.
The company came out of the Great War in good financial shape. There was a controlled release of surplus 20/25 military cars onto the world market and deliveries of the 25/30, that had been produced towards the end of the war, restarted to private buyers in February 1919 and continued until 1925. The car was slightly updated with a higher bonnet resulting in smoother scuttle line to the windscreen. The clientele of the firm at this time included King George V, the Prince of Wales, the Kings of Spain and Siam and Emporer Hirohito of Japan.
The Crossley 14 (called the 12/14 in the home market in 1922 and the 15/20 on the non European export market) was manufactured between 1922 and 1927. Many bodies were made on the chassis including two and four seater tourers and saloons, the rarest being the V screen.
BS 9199 was exported to New Zealand and little is known of its early life, but by 1994 Alan and Pratts of Wellington New Zealand had comprehensively restored it and won Vintage Car Club of New Zealand Colonial Cup. According to the Crossley register in 1999 it is the only known V screen in existence apart from one bulkhead and a box of spares. Repatriated to the UK in 2004 it was owned by Thomas Ritchie of Glenrothes in 2009 and in 2015 our vendor acquired her. He has kept her in concours condition, only being used for occasional rallies and picnic trips with a period wind up gramophone. The cataloguer was duly impressed by this car; the V screen and dashboard are a work of art and the quality of the restoration will not disappoint.
Sold with the V5C, various copies of the restoration and assorted paperwork, she will be driven to the auction, weather permitting.
1922 Calthorpe all weather deluxe tourer 10.4 hp - 4th March 2017 SOLD FOR £17,300
Registration number CN 1472. Chassis number 6598. Engine number 5500. Body number 3099. The car passed its first MOT on the 17th February 1988 when the odometer read 9
1922 Calthorpe all weather deluxe tourer 10.4 hp.
Registration number CN 1472.
Chassis number 6598.
Engine number 5500.
Body number 3099.
CN 1472 was first registered in Gateshead on the 7th April 1922 to a Percy Edward Elliott and was last road registered in the December of 1928 in Gateshead. Some sixty years later David Naylor purchased an ex council building in Burniston, north of Scarborough and during the clearing of the site came across a partly dismantled car with the remains in boxed around the shell. He contacted the council who said it was his responsibility now He then researched the Calthorpe and started a painstaking restoration during 1986/7. The chassis and bodywork were in remarkable condition and one part of the Michelin disc wheels needed to be repaired and of course the engine and drivetrain received a complete overhaul as did the Brolt lighting circuit. A new interior and hood were manufactured and the car was painted period damson instead of the original Battleship Grey.
Of particular note on this particular car is the very rare 50mph Bonniksen isochronous speedometer by Rotherhams of Coventry. The isochronous speedometer was first patented in 1912 by its inventor Bahne Bonniksen. Bonniksen (1835-1935) was a Danish horologist who came to England as a young man to learn his trade. He was a watchmaker of considerable talent and is most famous for having invented the 'Karussel' mechanism in 1912, it likewise revolutionised the accuracy of the speedometer due to the clock-type movement at its heart. Sometime between 1916 and 1919 Bonniksen sold the rights to his speedometer to Rotherhams of Coventry - a successful watchmaking company.
Another interesting feature is the period AA badge, which was issued to motorcars in the month of May-June 1914 presumably the first owners club.
The car passed its first MOT on the 17th February 1988 when the odometer read 9,197; presumably the original mileage and the following year it had risen to 9,464. It was then laid up again until purchased by our vendor (the third owner!) on the 1st June 2010 who recommissioned her and she was MOT'd again with a mileage of 9,584; used sparing over the last years it has now risen to 9,590.
She is sold with the original RF60, a V5C, three old MOT's, three bound books that contain copies of period publications relating to Calthorpes, notes and photographs taken during the restoration, and sundry other literature. This is a rare opportunity to purchase what is believed to be the only example of this model in existence and there are less than ten Calthorpe cars thought to exist.